Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Replacing NetReg with ?

From: Michael Sinatra <michael () RANCID BERKELEY EDU>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:21:28 -0800

There are already ASNs showing up in the global routing table that are
only announcing IPv6.  Many of those are in the developing world, but
isn't it in the case that many of our institutions have research and
study-abroad programs in the developing world.

There is also a lot of evidence that IPv6 outperforms IPv4.  See this
recent talk:

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/abstract?id=2281

I understand the issue with not feeling the need for IPv6 right now.
The issue is, we don't know exactly _when_ we will need IPv6, but we can
pretty much bet that we will need it at some point.  What we can do now
is to minimize the risks associated with being stuck without IPv6 when
we need it and/or having to do a crash deployment just to be able to
talk to some important donor foundation or research project.  I wrote
about this topic a while back:

http://esnetupdates.wordpress.com/2012/05/21/the-risks-of-not-deploying-ipv6-in-the-re-community-2/

michael