Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Remaining XP Machines

From: "Mertz, Brian E" <bmertz () ILLINOIS EDU>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:55:45 +0000

We are moving forward with what I would consider a fairly ambitious plan of blocking network access for XP machines
starting either on the EOL date of April 8, or the next day (April 9). I’m not sure on the exact date that the filters
are going to be put in place, but we are most definitely keeping XP machines off of our wired network, our wireless,
and our VPN.

Needless to say, we have already begun notifying specific XP users and the campus community on the whole about this
upcoming change.

I would be extremely interested in hearing what communications tools other schools are using if they are also
aggressively blocking XP instances from their network. This includes catchy XP End of Life slogans if such things
exist. :)

--
Brian Mertz
Chief Communications Officer