Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Best practice for reverse DNS records

From: Richard H Gadsden <gadsden () MUSC EDU>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 10:18:01 -0500

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014, Lisciotti, Kevin wrote:

Hi everyone,
I was curious as to what others do in regards to creating external PTR records.

On our external DNS servers, every IP address in our Class B that is assigned to an Internet-facing host, such as an smtp or web server, gets the usual PTR record, which points to the host's public external name.

For every other IP address in our Class B, we publish a generic PTR record, for example y.x.23.128.in-addr.arpa -> 128-23-x-y.musc.edu.

This way, every host on our network has a valid, public PTR record on our external DNS servers, but we don't give anything away (that we don't have to) to anyone doing DNS recon from the outside.

--
 Richard Gadsden
 Information Security Office