Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Student Accounts After Graduation

From: Barbara Ann Torney <bt42 () COLUMBIA EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 15:49:45 -0400

We also have SSO, but keeping email (gmail for us) access is not a problem because we limit access to functions in the portal through roles, and they are much more fine-grained than our logon process.

Ex-employees have to have access to their W2 and address info, and ex-students need access to transcripts, and ex-faculty members who still have sponsored doctoral students need access to some faculty functions. So all of that is controlled through portal roles based on detailed info in Banner.

We don't see a conflict between keeping email and limiting access. Sure we've got gazillion portal roles, but once they are set up, they just keep on truckin'.

Happy Memorial Day weekend to all!  /bat