Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password expiration - was Re: [SECURITY] Security Awareness Programs

From: Carlos Lobato <clobato () NMSU EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 16:40:35 +0000

All,

I would take a formal written risk-based approach as far as making decisions about password expiration and security
awareness.  The principle is roles & responsibilities.

End-users (University Community) need to be made aware about what is at stake and the why of controls, and decision
makers (Governing Body & Executive Management) should make well-informed Institution-wide decisions as far as the
acceptance of risks and/or provide resources for mitigation and be crystal clear about the implementation of operating
and technical security controls.  For University management the damage to the reputation/cost/fines is a huge concern
and for sure faculty, staff and students will feel let down in the event of a data breach involving their PII>

Example, the banking industry requires strict controls, but we know what is at stake.  My bank specifically requires
multi-factor authentication and password changes every 90 days with highly strict complexity requirements and I'm ok
because they have educated me on what is at stake.

My two cents.

Carlos,

Carlos S. Lobato, CISSP, CISA, CIA

IT Compliance Officer

New Mexico State University

Information and Communication Technologies

MSC 3AT PO Box 30001

Las Cruces, NM  88003

Phone (575) 646-5902

Fax (575) 646-5278