Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: PCI - Third party vendors

From: Brad Judy <brad.judy () CU EDU>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 20:50:08 +0000

If they hold the merchant account, and they are treating your network like the internet (untrusted, public network),
then they are responsible for ensuring both their compliance and that their data is properly protected before reaching
your network.

However, if they are not treating your network like the public internet, then you could be considered a PCI service
provider to them and you would need an agreement about who handles what aspects of security and would have to figure
out your side of PCI compliance.

These arrangements can be fairly simple if you are just their ISP and not managing their internal networking.  They
would typically have their own switch and SOHO type firewall to segment themselves from your network, only sending out
the encrypted connection to the payment gateway/processor.  If you had a big chain coming on site, they would likely
have done this approach before.

That said, a local coffee shop might not understand PCI-DSS and might not have a plan like that.

Brad Judy

Director of UIS Security
University Information Systems
University of Colorado
1800 Grant Street, Suite 300
Denver, CO  80203
Office: (303) 860-4293
Fax: (303) 860-4302
www.cu.edu

[cid:8B31C7DD-0324-46B9-83BC-2307D4D96284]