Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Onboarding

From: John Kaftan <jkaftan () CAYUGA-CC EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:13:13 +0000

Forgive me if this has been brought up recently.  I have been offline for a while.

How are you getting your students logged in and setup with a username and password initially?  We are sending people a
mailer telling them their initial password and a url to connect to.  Then they log in with their SSN and this password
for the first time.  Once they do that they get their username and are prompted to setup a new password.

It works but it is clunky as students have to wait for us to send them that mailing before they can get in.  In the era
of “instamatically” I am wondering if we can do better.

What is your organization doing?  I have seen SSN and birthday suffice for initial setup.

Also, do folks get logins after they are admitted or after they register for a class.  Oh one more, do non-credit
(continuing ed) students get a login?

Thanks

John Kaftan
Dean of Information Technology