Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Checkpoint 13500 Next Generation Firewall/Security

From: Timothy Pierson <Timothy.Pierson () LIVE COM>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 14:03:35 -0600

Greetings,

I am not sure if this is the place to post this query, however it seems the
likely place to start.  We have purchased Checkpoint's Next Generation
Firewall/Security Appliance. The model is 13500 and we have the 11 software
blade suite with application and DLP services.

Early September we turned the application security blade service on and it
took our internet connection out, dropping the overall throughput from 750
Mbs to less than 50 Mbs.  Naturally this had us turning the application
service off and engaging checkpoint.  After a couple of months, the issue,
albeit somewhat improved, is not resolved to where it continues to
significantly throttle our throughput, with massive packet drop and overall
inferior end user experience.

We are not performing any blocking, we have merely turned the software blade
feature.  Checkpoint had not been able to resolve the issue and spent a
couple of months not even knowing what the problem was and were sure it is
because of the unusual traffic patterns from our RESNET.

One of the things I asked was if there were any Institutions equal to or
greater than 14,000 students, with a significant resident hall presence,
that was using the Checkpoint 13500, with the 11 security feature suite,
with application and DLP services.  Their response was that they did in fact
have customers, however none of them would care to share their experience
with this product and feature set.  Knowing our constituencies, I am a
little skeptical of this, as I have never had a circumstance where there was
an unwillingness to share common experiences.

I would like to ask if anyone is using this product, configured similarly to
above, and what your experience was in hopes of hearing of a work around or
fix.  The feeling is that the resnet traffic, which is 29% Netflix and 24%
software download (gaming, MS, Apple or other updates), and other student
behavior is at the root of the Checkpoint system going "belly up" under
minimal load.

I would appreciate hearing within this forum or privately, from anyone who
might have some experience with this product.

Thank You,

Tim Pierson

DCIO

Tenn Tech University