Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Start a New Cyber Adventure in Moscow!

From: "Parks, Mitch (mitch () uidaho edu)" <mitch () UIDAHO EDU>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 19:01:30 +0000

Moscow, Idaho that is!

The University of Idaho is seeking aspiring candidates for the role of IT
Security Manager. This is a position especially suited for someone with some
experience as a security analyst that is ready to take on a bit more.
Splunk, FTK, and Bro are just a few of the tools you will be able to use
and/or learn in your new position.

https://uidaho.peopleadmin.com/postings/7028

As Idaho's flagship, land-grant, high-research University our direct
presence extends to almost every county in Idaho, but our impact goes far
beyond. This is a great opportunity to take on an important security role,
yet still enjoy the comforts of small-town, western living.

There is beauty
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2512804/Rural-bliss-desolation-US-p
hotographer-captures-beautiful-vastness-farmland-Washington-State.html>  to
living on the Palouse
<http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2460659/Stunning-photographs-mistak
en-paintings-beauty-Palouse-Valley-glory.html>  in every season.

A few things you may appreciate about Moscow, Idaho and the University of
Idaho:

*         Short 10-15 minute commutes from the farthest points in town.

*         Classes for employees are $5/credit.

*         There are both spousal and dependent tuition waiver programs.

*         We have one of the last free-form, student-run radio stations
<http://kuoi.org/>  (over 69 years on air).

*         We have a cloud-based, 3-D printing kiosk
<https://skyforge.co/home/>  on campus.

*         We have a great Recreation Center
<http://www.bestcollegereviews.org/features/the-25-most-amazing-campus-stude
nt-recreation-centers/>  with a 55 foot climbing tower
<http://www.uidaho.edu/studentaffairs/campus-recreation/outdoor-program/clim
bing-center>  - the tallest of any U.S. college, and are ranked one of the
best
<http://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/Outside-University-25-Univers
ity-of-Idaho.html> "Outside" universities.

*         Our Women <http://www.uidaho.edu/studentaffairs/womenscenter> 's
Center has been promoting gender equity on campus and in the community for
over 40 years.

*         The University has embraced diversity, human rights, access, and
inclusion as strategic to our community and culture.

*         We're not afraid to have a little fun
<http://www.uidaho.edu/newsevents/features/kittens-for-all> .

*         Bloomberg-Businessweek rated Moscow one of the best places to
raise kids
<http://images.businessweek.com/slideshows/2012-12-17/the-best-places-to-rai
se-kids-2013#slide13> .

*         Moscow High School had the highest scores of any public school in
the state for the SAT last year.

*         Livability rated Moscow as #8 on their list of best college towns.
<http://livability.com/top-10/10-best-college-towns-2014/moscow/id>

*         We have a great Farmer
<https://www.facebook.com/MoscowFarmersMarket> 's Market, May through
October.

*         We also have a great food Co-op <http://moscowfood.coop/>  with an
amazing deli, bakery, and local meats.

*         We have a full four seasons of weather, with only rare extreme hot
or cold. Skiing <http://www.schweitzer.com/> ? Boating? Biking
<http://bikemoscow.org/> ? Hunting? Hiking? Photography
<https://www.alisonmeyerphotography.com/search.cfm?q=Idaho> ? We've got all
of that.

*         We are near the deepest gorge in North America.
<http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/wallowa-whitman/specialplaces/?cid=stelprdb52
39080>  No, not the Grand Canyon - Hells Canyon.

*         We are within a beautiful day's drive of either the Pacific ocean
one way, or Glacier or Yellowstone parks the other way.

*         Though there are other places I personally prefer, we have one of
the best Sports Bars
<http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2013/07/19/finding-americas-best-sports-bar
s-idahos-corner-club-has-nailed-the-formula> . There are also multiple
wineries, micro-breweries, and a cider house within 30 miles.