Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Deprecation of SSL Certificates Using SHA-1

From: Albert Lunde <atlunde () PANIX COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2014 11:42:43 -0500

Related to this is the problem of getting people to trust the new intermediate CAs involved (two or three in the case of the InCommon certificate service, which is rooted with an existing well known root CA "AddTrust External CA Root").

Based on my experiments so far I think I need to trust new certificates in the Windows local machine store for servers, for using them in an AD domain controller.

But I need to trust them in the Windows user certificate store to avoid getting certificate warnings from about web sites with the new certificates in my desktop/laptop environment, just having the root trusted doesn't seem to be enough.

AD group policy can push out certificate trust, but for the systems that aren't joined to a domain (for most students and many staff systems), it's hard to find a way to distribute new certificates than can be distinguished from phishing or man-in-the-middle attacks.

(I can serve up certificate files as application/x-x509-ca-cert which produces some loosely appropriate response when downloading them.)

--
    Albert Lunde  albert-lunde () northwestern edu
                  atlunde () panix com  (address for personal mail)