Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Secure File Transfer

From: Greg Williams <gwillia5 () UCCS EDU>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 19:52:03 +0000

We typically do 10 minute screensaver timeouts.  But it really depends on
the system or groups of systems how much time we have.  Some more sensitive
systems have timeout shorter.

For secure file sharing we either use PGP netshare if the user is going to
be constantly sharing information with the same people across campus or
filelocker2.  Filelocker2 (http://sourceforge.net/projects/filelocker2/) is
opensource, developed by Purdue and I think you will find a lot of the
higher ed community using it.  It is great for sharing information either
with internal or external users.  Data is encrypted in transit and at rest,
as well as virus scanned upon upload.  Data storage is temporary.  Both user
accounts and data auto delete after a certain period of time, however user
accounts are instantly re-created for users when they log in again via ldap.
We have approved of this tool for any type of sensitive data transfer
including HIPAA, SSNs, etc.

Greg Williams, M.E., ISA, GPEN, GCFE

Director of Networks and Infrastructure
Interim IT Security Manager/Information Security Officer/HIPAA Security
Officer
University of Colorado Colorado Springs - Department of Information
Technology