Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

small schools - nextgen firewalls

From: Julie Newton <jnewton () AUSTINSEMINARY EDU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 18:29:55 +0000

Are there any small schools using SonicWall (NSA 220, NSA250 or NSA 2600 models) or PaloAlto (PA-200, PA-500, PA-2020
or PA-2050) ?

We currently have 20 MB pipe (we *are* small) but expect 1 GB within <2 years as Google Fiber is installed across
Austin.  We have 2 discrete networks and want an appliance that works across both with unique filter sets.  I am most
concerned with malware filtering ability, throughput and a good admin interface.

Currently on older Cymphonix (pre-Untangle), which required an appliance for each network and had a clunky UI and
filtering did not catch ransomware.

Any suggestions or opinions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Julie Newton
Director of Information Technology
AUSTIN PRESBYTERIAN THEOLOGICAL SEMINARY
100 E. 27th Street, Austin, Texas 78705

austinseminary.edu