Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Palo Alto/Xbox/"Strict NAT"

From: "Howard, Christopher" <Christopher-Howard () UTC EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 16:58:15 +0000

I've never done static NATs for the game consoles.  They just grab an outside IP from the pool.  If they end up with a
1-1 NAT, they get moderate results.  If the pool happens to be full and they end up in the PAT overflow, they get
strict results.

With 700+ game consoles registered in our NAC, there's no way I'm setting up static NATs for each one. :)

Christopher Howard
Senior Network Engineer
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Helping Students Achieve Excellence through Technology

christopher-howard () utc edu
423-425-1773