Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Web Content Filtering

From: Kevin Reedy <KReedy () EXCELSIOR EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 15:31:11 -0400

FWIW I implemented filtering at an Academic Medical Center, and in 4+ years
I only had one porn 'false positive'.  Nudity is usually a separate
category, and as such we never encountered any issues.  The clinicians,
researchers and students never bounced up against the filter in this
regard.  We had 4-5 unfiltered (still malware site blocked and virus
scanned) workstations.  One was in IT, the rest were in the Drs. Lounge. It
was decided that Drs who have an overnight shift can do what they want.
Business decision, not IT decision.

The one false positive was a researcher looking into a condition called
'kinky hair syndrome'.  This triggered the search filter as a search for
porn, even though the first two google result pages had no porn on them. it
was handled quickly and easily and the porn filter never came across my
desk again.

Another note, gambling tends to be very broad.  By default it won't allow
anyone to check their numbers for the local lotto or mega millions. It
should be easy enough to fine tune for that purpose.