Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Amazon credential compromise

From: Emily Harris <emharris () VASSAR EDU>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 10:40:00 -0500

We had an interesting incident regarding the capturing of credentials.  We
are still investigating the incident and we are rather short on theories as
to how the login/password combination was breached.  Our best guess is an
infected web browser on a PC which was used on Tuesday.  I am curious if
anyone else has had credentials captured this way?  We have not yet scanned
the machine but have quarantined it for the time being while we consider
next steps.  Thanks in advance!

----
Emily Harris
Interim Information Security Officer, CIS
Vassar College
845-437-7221