Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security team and budget

From: dsarazen <dsarazen () BRANDEIS EDU>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 10:04:21 -0500

The highest I've heard, and this included for profit organizations, was 3 to 6 percent of the TOTAL budget. That was
from a SANS instructor, Dr. Eric Cole, in 2014. None of the members of the class (about 50) thought their school was
investing even 2% of their budgets towards IT Security.
But only a risk assessment can help you quantify what you really should be spending. I have Dr. Cole's SANS based risk
assessment if you'd like to see it. Again, it's two years old, but maps to ISO/NIST/HIPAA and PCI DSS.
Good luck,
Dan Sarazen, CISA, CISSP