Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recent experience traveling China

From: "Don M. Blumenthal" <dmb () DONBLUMENTHAL COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:36:36 -0500

Sorry. I clicked Send when moving my cursor to edit what I had written.
================

From what I understand, security and access issues will vary by where someone is in China. I had no problem with VPN
in Beijing, but that was a couple of years ago.

As long as Shawn mentioned them, based on experience, direct or from others in a organization that I work with, the
State Department warnings are legitimate. Some of the physical surveillance was comically obvious (guy with a telephoto
lens behind a potted something or other plant),  so I assume that other more subtle activities were going on. A
colleague caught two men in his hotel apparently checking his computer for files.

My company told employees to leave Macs at home and issued 7" notebooks that we were to keep with us at all times. That
was a failure (and the colleague above ignored "keep it with you.")  I scrubbed an ancient (10+ years} laptop and put
Linux on it. All security savvy people that I spotted had Chromebooks or PCs with Linux. All data was on portable
storage, with any auto backups directed to the those drives or disabled.

Branching into personal safety of kind, travelers should have at least surgical or gardening masks to give some
protection from air pollution in the major cities. It was brutal in Beijing. I know that this point is way beyond the
scope of the question, but the thread skated past VPNs awhile back. :)

Don

​

​