Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Quarterly Update, June 2016

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2016 17:14:57 +0000

Greetings,

I am sharing our latest quarterly update on behalf of the HEISC co-chairs. (Apologies for the cross-posting if you
already received this via the CIO list.)

If you have any questions about our new resources or current activities, please let me know.

Thank you!
Valerie

Dear Colleagues,

Since March, the Higher Education Information Security Council (HEISC) has published several timely resources.  Please
share this with your leadership team and look for ways to leverage these new resources.

Please help us welcome our colleague, Sharon Pitt (Binghamton University), as the incoming co-chair of HEISC. She will
officially begin her role as HEISC co-chair when Melissa Woo’s term is completed in October.

We hope you will find these useful as you begin tackling projects and planning over the not-so “quiet” summer months.
If you find something particularly useful, please drop us a line to let us know how this helped you in your work.

     *   March 1: Joanna Grama (EDUCAUSE Director of Cybersecurity and IT GRC Programs) facilitated a Peer2Peer session
at the 2016 RSA Conference in San Francisco: Advancing Information Security Strategies in Higher
Education<http://www.rsaconference.com/blogs/continuing-the-conversation-information-security-professionals-in-higher-education>
     *   March 21: Published the joint ECAR & HEISC working group paper, “Technology in Higher Education: Information
Security
Leadership<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/3/technology-in-higher-education-information-security-leadership>”
     *   April 7: Published a new resource about the benefits and potential risks of deploying “Phishing Simulation
Programs<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/4/phishing-simulation-programs>”
     *   April 18: Published “An Introduction to NIST 800-171 for Higher Education
Institutions<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/4/an-introduction-to-nist-special-publication-800-171-for-higher-education-institutions>”
     *   April 18-20: The 14th annual Security Professionals Conference was held in Seattle. More than 550 information
security and privacy professionals participated in person, while the virtual conference brought together over 115
registrants. Please save the date for our 15th annual conference: May 1-3, 2017 in Denver, CO!
     *   May 5: Published a Technology Spotlight on
OpenPGP<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/5/openpgp-technology-spotlight> (ECAR subscription required)
     *   May 18: Developed the paper “Understanding Information Security and Privacy in Postsecondary Education Data
Systems” as part of the Institute for Higher Education Policy (IHEP) series, “Envisioning the National Postsecondary
Infrastructure in the 21st
Century<http://www.ihep.org/postsecdata/mapping-data-landscape/national-postsecondary-data-infrastructure>,” and
participated in the launch event in Washington, DC (recordings are
available<http://www.ihep.org/events/envisioning-national-postsecondary-data-infrastructure-21st-century-paper-series-launch>)
     *   May 25: Published a Technology Spotlight on
DNSSSEC<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/5/dnssec-technology-spotlight> (ECAR subscription required)
     *   May 31: Since March, we have posted 16 guest blogs in the Security
Matters<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters> column in EDUCAUSE Review. This includes several blogs that
provide ready-made, adaptable content for your campus security awareness campaign
efforts<http://www.educause.edu/focus-areas-and-initiatives/policy-and-security/cybersecurity-initiative/community-engagement/security-awareness>.

Finally, please save the date for our upcoming virtual event on August 3, 12-3:30 pm EDT:Weathering the Storm: Business
Continuity and Disaster Recovery in Higher
Education<http://www.educause.edu/events/weathering-storm-business-continuity-and-disaster-recovery-higher-education>.

Thank you,

Cathy Bates and Melissa Woo, HEISC Co-Chairs

Sharon Pitt, Incoming Co-Chair

www.educause.edu/security<http://www.educause.edu/security>

Valerie Vogel Program Manager

EDUCAUSE