Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: System Hardening Standards

From: Taylor Randle <TRandle () PARKER EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2016 21:21:32 +0000

That's exactly what we've done. We don't follow a specific standard or framework down to the letter - we picked a
framework (primarily NIST but have also borrowed from others - such as our state's security standards - we're in Texas
so TAC 202 - we're private and, thus, not required to adhere but we still use it as a starting point/framework) and
modified it to what works best for our environment and for our business processes and formed our own set of
policies/guidelines accordingly - documenting all along the way.

For server hardening specifically, some resources that you may find useful:

NIST:
        Checklists/Benchmark Repo:
        https://web.nvd.nist.gov/view/ncp/repository

        Guide to General Server Security:
        http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-123.pdf

        Hardening Microsoft Windows:
        http://www.nist.org/news.php?extend.204

CIS:
        https://benchmarks.cisecurity.org/downloads/#free

SANS:
        Checklists:
         https://www.sans.org/score/checklists

        Policy Templates:
        https://www.sans.org/security-resources/policies

        Server Security policy template:
        https://www.sans.org/security-resources/policies/server-security/pdf/server-security-policy

In addition to policy/frameworks/checklists, some tools that will help you:

        Nessus' basic scans will assist in vuln management/hardening but Nessus also has Policy Compliance Auditing and
SCAP/OVAL scans which can audit your systems against known best practices/baselines - including the CIS/NIST benchmarks
listed above.

        For *nix systems, I've found Lynis - https://cisofy.com/lynis/  - to be useful for hardening.

Hope this helps.
~Taylor