Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

HEISC Quarterly Update, June 2017

From: Valerie Vogel <vvogel () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 15:00:29 +0000

Dear Security Discussion list members,

With summer fast approaching, we wanted to share some of the latest activities and resources from the Higher Education
Information Security Council (HEISC) and our hard-working volunteers. (Note: This is a re-posting from the CIO list.)

First, we’d like to acknowledge the 2017 program committee for planning the 15th annual Security Professionals
Conference. This year’s event — held May 1-3 in Denver — was a big success with excellent keynotes, seminars, and track
sessions, as well as record-breaking attendance (over 650 participants)! Resources are now available for review.

If your campus uses the Higher Education Cloud Vendor Assessment
Tool<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2016/10/higher-education-cloud-vendor-assessment-tool> (HECVAT), please
note that a new version was published in May along with a “lightweight” version that provides a shorter set of
questions for review in low-risk situations.

Some additional resources include:

  *   EDUCAUSE Information Security Almanac
2017<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/5/the-educause-information-security-almanac-2017>*
  *   2017 Trends and Technologies: Security, Identity, Privacy, and
GRC<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/4/2017-trends-and-technologies-security-identity-privacy-and-grc>*
  *   Recordings from two recent HEISC webinars on
phishing<https://library.educause.edu/resources/2017/4/heisc-webinar-chapter-1-getting-your-campus-ready-for-a-phishing-awareness-campaign>
 and risk<http://www.educause.edu/security>
  *   SANS 2017 Security Awareness Report<https://securingthehuman.sans.org/report>
  *   New guest blogs in the EDUCAUSE Review Security Matters column<http://er.educause.edu/columns/security-matters>

Finally, considering registering for the August 9 extended online event, Metrics Mania! Using Metrics to Bolster Your
Higher Ed InfoSec
Program<https://events.educause.edu/webinar/2017/metrics-mania-using-metrics-to-bolster-your-higher-education-information-security-program>.

We hope that you and your team have a productive summer. As you’re wrapping up projects or diving into new ones, please
let us know how HEISC might be able to help with new resources or content!

Thank you,
Sharon Pitt and Mike Corn, HEISC Co-Chairs
www.educause.edu/security<http://www.educause.edu/security>

*Starting July 1, access to ECAR publications like these will be included in EDUCAUSE membership. If your organization
has already renewed for 2017-18, you and everyone at your organization has access now.

Valerie Vogel Senior Manager, Cybersecurity Program

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5374 | main: 202.872.4200 | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>