Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: NIST SP 800-63B and Passwords

From: Carlos S Lobato <clobato () NMSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 02:33:40 +0000

Hello All,

I'm an Auditor and I would be in favor of this change if I would be shown this NIST publication.  I just cannot imagine
an auditor that would not be in favor if properly explained the risks.

Carlos,
Subject: Re: [SECURITY] NIST SP 800-63B and Passwords

We also shifted several years ago from 8 characters and lots of complexity to at least 15 characters. The only
composition requirement now is that there has to be at least one letter, and they get to change once a year. Beyond
that we talk about how length gives greater strength, and about remembering by using chunks (therefore "passphrases").
More than once I've shown the math to an auditor, who seemed to leave satisfied. Some departmental sysadmins have
chosen to expire certain admin passwords more often, just to avoid having the conversation 😉.

Steve

Steven Lovaas

Information Security Officer

Colorado State University

steven.lovaas () colostate edu<mailto:steven.lovaas () colostate edu>

970-297-3707