Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Endpoint Protection - App Whitelisting?

From: BRIAN R GRILLI <brg3 () PSU EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 13:57:26 -0500

I have been in the auditing phase the last few weeks with deploying Applocker to my staff machines. Since I was able to
generate my whitelist off our standard staff computer image (and our staff do not have admin rights to install any
software), setting up the rules and exceptions was pretty easy. During the audit I haven't run into too many issues of
legitimate things getting blocked, but I'm sure we will see more as time goes on. If it becomes too much to manage, we
may end up abandoning it. This is a deployment on <100 machines, so I'd imagine going campus wide you would definitely
need quite a few support staff trained to manage this.

Prior to this, we survived mainly on user education, and of course good backups :)