Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Training or lab environments for cybersecurity programs at institutions

From: Dennis Bolton <bolton () OAKLAND EDU>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2018 13:12:39 -0500

Hi,

We have also followed the air gap approach with the program's network
limited to a specific classroom or classrooms.  Instructors also have
students sign an Ethical Hacking agreement.  In some labs students also
purchase their own hard drives to use during the course period and must
remove the drives at the end of each class session.    As an FYI we are
seeing a lot of removable media being shuffled between the air-gap network
and regular lab\classroom computers, which has not been an issue so far,
but is something we are keeping an eye on.

--
Dennis Bolton
Information Security Officer

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Barton, Robert W. <bartonrt () lewisu edu>