Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Options for Delaying Restart after Patching

From: John Ramsey <jramsey () STUDENTCLEARINGHOUSE ORG>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2018 16:53:16 +0000

In essence, we use a GPO that enables automatic updates for any of our PC asset classes.  (Note:  these are security
updates and not OS version upgrades).  The GPO then is configured to restart on Saturday nights (if the device wasn't
restarted prior to that.)  Within 6 months, our top 50 most exploitable devices went from 86% as PCs down to less than
28% of these devices being PCs.

John Ramsey, Chief Information Security Officer, National Student Clearinghouse
Certified:  CISSP, CISM, PMP, CSSLP, CRISC, CGEIT
2300 Dulles Station Blvd., Suite 220, Herndon, VA 20171
P: 703.742.4428  |   http://www.studentclearinghouse.org
Read the Clearinghouse Today Blog

Winner "2016 When Work Works" & "Excellence in Work-Life Balance"