Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] [SECURITY] ISO27001 vs NIST 800-171

From: "Shankar, Anurag" <ashankar () IU EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 13:58:09 +0000

Hi Chris,

The biggest difference from my view is that, while ISO 27001 has a hundred-odd controls set, it is really a framework
aimed at measuring/improving the high-level cybersecurity management structure for an organization (to protect data
confidentiality, integrity, and availability).  NIST 800-171 is a more typical physical, admin, and technical control
set (also around a hundred) designed to protect data confidentiality only.

As for which is more appropriate, it depends on what the relevant compliance regimes are in your case and the effort
you are willing to expend.  The primary ones affecting EDU with specific cybersecurity requirements in my opinion are
HIPAA, DFARS, (for DoD contracts), CMS, and FISMA (for certain govt. contracts).  NIST 800-171 is a good place to start
if you don’t have a lot of resources, but if you want to use a single framework to cover all cyber compliance, I’d
establish a NIST risk management framework (which uses NIST 800-53, the superset of 800-171) that also addresses
integrity and availability.  That is what we do here at IU.  I’d be more than happy to talk to you in more detail if
you are interested.

Regards,

Anurag

---

Anurag Shankar,  Ph.D.  Email: ashankar [at] iu.edu  Phone: +1 (812) 856-6978

Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research, Pervasive Technology Institute, Indiana University

2719 E. 10th Street, Suite 231, Bloomington, IN 47408