Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Mandatory IT Security training

From: Sharkirah Foote <footese () OIT RUTGERS EDU>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2018 16:05:22 +0000

At Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences we have mandatory, annual compliance training for our Code of Conduct, as
well as for HIPAA compliance.  I get to provide training content to these modules regarding basic IT security concepts.
 In our Education, Training and Awareness Policy we do hold Deans and senior management of the various schools and
units responsible for ensuring that all members of their staff are trained in required Information Security concepts.

To assist the schools and units in the above effort, I conduct various types of Awareness and Education sessions that
are not mandatory.  I also partner with senior management at the various schools and units to create customized
training programs if there are identified issues that appear to not be addressed with the mandatory training.

During the new hire orientation process, I provide training materials and a presentation on IT security.  So, the
university addresses IT security annually and upon hire.

I hope this helps.

[cid:image001.png@01D42346.985299A0]

Sharkirah E. Foote
Information Security Trainer
OIT/IPS - Information Security Office
Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences
30 Bergen Street, Newark, NJ  07107
P 973.972.1832   | F 973.972.1213  | rusecure.rutgers.edu

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email communication may contain private, confidential, or legally privileged information
intended for the sole use of the designated and/or duly authorized recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient
or have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and permanently delete all copies
of this email including all attachments without reading them. If you are the intended recipient, secure the contents in
a manner that conforms to all applicable state and/or federal requirements related to privacy and confidentiality of
such information.