Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Danger from recent BEC attacks

From: Curt Kappenman <ckappenman () ANDERSONUNIVERSITY EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 19:38:08 +0000

All,
   I am sending this out as a notice of an issue related to some recent BEC campaigns focused on our institution.  The
malicious actors seem to be after user credentials so that they can spoof the user to make changes to their direct
deposit information and highjack payroll.  We have had a few user fall prey to these attacks and the malicious actors
inserted email rules so the user would not see the traffic and they then corresponded with the business office to
change direct deposit info.  All of this traffic appeared to be the user because it transpired on their institutional
email address.
  This was caught when the user inquired about missed deposits.  Just giving everyone a heads up if this is happening
on your campus.

Curt Kappenman
Security Compliance Officer / Systems Technician

[cid:image002.png@01CE928D.7FDE1D30]<http://www.andersonuniversity.edu/it.aspx>

316 Boulevard, Anderson, SC 29621
Phone: (864) 231-2850
Help Desk: (864) 231-2457
ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu<mailto:ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu>
www.andersonuniversity.edu<http://www.andersonuniversity.edu/>

Note: This message contains information which may be confidential and privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or
authorized to receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose to anyone this message or any information
contained in this message. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender by replying to
ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu<mailto:ckappenman () andersonuniversity edu>, and delete the message. Thank you
for your cooperation in this matter.