Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: 802.1X password reset issues

From: David Curry <david.curry () NEWSCHOOL EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2018 19:08:45 -0500

We had the same problem and the same complaints around this time last year.
After some investigoogling, I came across this article:

https://ravingroo.com/295/active-directory-account-lockout-policy-threshold-counter-strong-password/

What the author said made sense to us, so we decided to give it a try, and
set our Active Directory policy to the values the article recommends:

Account lockout duration: 5 minutes
Account lockout threshold: 50 invalid logon attempts
Reset account lockout counter after: 1 minute

We haven't had any complaints since (nor have we seen anything to suggest
that what the author says is incorrect).

We chose not to follow the author's other suggestion to abandon the lockout
policy all together, mostly because we figured the auditors would just make
us put it back. :-)

--

DAVID A. CURRY, CISSP
*DIRECTOR OF INFORMATION SECURITY*

71 FIFTH AVE., 9TH FL., NEW YORK, NY 10003
+1 212 229-5300 x4728 • david.curry () newschool edu