Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Malware detection

From: Tom Miller <thomas.miller () CNU EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2019 09:37:52 -0400

While not free, you may find an educational discount or perhaps a state
purchasing mechanism to keep the cost affordable.

My university uses ESET.  There are mechanisms in the product that will
detect for traditional malware but will also detect for ransomware.  It's
never been tested though, since other security measures have thankfully
prevented it.

I personally am not  a fan of Malwarebytes Enterprise.  Several years ago,
when I was still in engineering, a client purchased Malwarebytes Enterprise
and I implemented it for them.  It is only a supplement to traditional A/V
tools, so we had that and an A/V tool running.  There was a ransomware
outbreak and Malwarebytes did not detect it, and support was useless (no
way to call, only email support). Why have multiple tools if you can use
one anyway?  That's just my experience with the enterprise version, and it
was fairly new to market then.