Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Wireless Network Rogue Access Points

From: Brian Epstein <bepstein () IAS EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2019 13:28:37 -0400

Hi Greg,

Any place on our campus where someone could plug in a rogue AP, we make
sure it would end up on the untrusted/BYOD network.  Any open port on
the untrusted or trusted network also requires some type of
registration, although it is admittedly a lightweight registration on
the untrusted side.

We have a policy that rogue access points are not allowed on our
network.  We found, over the years, that enforcing the policy is
difficult/time consuming.  In general, if there is interference or
something malicious going on, we focus on getting it taken down quicker.
 Otherwise, we ignore them (they are on the untrusted/BYOD network).

In the future, we are looking at utilizing SDNs to make it more
difficult to get a rogue onto the network to begin with.  I think this
will be more effective for us rather than trying to hunt down rogue APs.

Our monitoring is done via our Cisco APs, WLCs, and Prime infrastructure.

Thanks,
ep