Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: OpenVAS

From: Alex Keller <axkeller () STANFORD EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 18:39:48 +0000

Hi Robert,

I’ve deployed the free Greenbone Community Edition for an experimental use case, and for no budget scenarios it’s a
viable option. I didn’t find the web interface very intuitive (nor modern) and the scans didn’t seem wicked fast…but it
does work and provides actionable reports. You can download the ISO at the link below, took me under an hour to stand
up on ESXi: https://www.greenbone.net/en/install_use_gce/

I can’t speak to their professional version, the Greenbone Security Manager -- edition differences are outline here:
https://www.greenbone.net/en/community-edition/

Best,
Alex

Alex Keller
Stanford | Engineering
Information Technology
axkeller () stanford edu<mailto:axkeller () stanford edu>
(650)736-6421