Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Safeguards Rule additional requirements proposal tomorrow

From: Jarret Cummings <jcummings () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 19:07:44 +0000

Last Friday, I posted to the EDUCAUSE Review Policy Spotlight about a raft of new requirements that the Federal Trade
Commission (FTC) is proposing to add to its Safeguards Rule - that is, a raft of new information security provisions
that most colleges and universities would have to follow
(https://er.educause.edu/blogs/2019/3/ftc-announces-proposed-changes-to-the-safeguards-rule).

The 60-day comment period for the FTC's notice of proposed rule-making on this hasn't yet started, since the notice
isn't official until it's published in the Federal Register. That changes tomorrow, April 4th, however, given the
Federal Register announcement that it will publish the notice then
(https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/04/04/2019-04981/standards-for-safeguarding-customer-information). That
will put the deadline for comments in the first week of June.

EDUCAUSE plans to work with members to submit comments on behalf of the community. In the meantime, though, I urge you
to review the proposed requirements and consider their implications for your institution's information security and IT
operations in case the FTC sticks with its proposed six-month deadline for compliance from the date the final
regulations are published. It's possible that could happen later this year, which would make the compliance deadline
sometime in spring or summer of 2020. - Jarret Cummings

Jarret S. Cummings
Senior Advisor, Policy and Government Relations

EDUCAUSE
Uncommon Thinking for the Common Good
direct: 202.331.5372 | educause.edu<http://www.educause.edu/>