Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Cybersecurity Students

From: Bob Mahoney <bobmah () MIT EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2019 15:21:33 +0000

[Disclaimer: I am no longer at MIT, and am only here as a guest associate, which I appreciate.]

Some time back now, I started and ran MIT’s first Network Security Team.  Through need and an appreciation of the
untapped resource, we employed a number of student staff.

This worked out fabulously.  “Win-win” doesn’t begin to do it justice.

The relevance to this discussion is that using students served to seed some security awareness out into the student
community, where they naturally came to advise their friends with security problems, and interrupted any number “clever
ideas” in the dorms, where random student curiosity might have gone on to become a problem, all happening below my
radar.

They were a back-channel to communicate security information, and they helped the team and IS&T have real credibility
among the students.  They were our secret weapons out in the community.

We *never* had a breach of trust or confidentiality involving the student staff, and we only very rarely saw any
serious misbehavior in the student population.  Once or twice we did have a computer science class do something very
unwise.  (like pinging all the NTP servers they could find on planet Earth, and doing unannounced & unauthorized
performance testing...  my phone rang angrily for days afterwards)  But generally Computer Science classes kept their
experiments to their own local networks, and we had good relations.

Student security staff were intimately involved in doing campus vulnerability scanning, and maintaining/extending that
capability.

I’d just like to suggest that interested students can be given a productive outlet for their curiosity, that can
greatly aid security your effectiveness.  They became critical to our success.  They were a whole lot of fun to work
with, and they helped us do so much more than we could have otherwise ever done.

(of course, I may have just lucked-out in employing the kids most likely to have caused problems if left to their own
curiosities...  :-)

The bug-bounty program suggestions here sound like a great innovation in this direction.

Many of our students came back expressing real appreciation for the experience, and said it gave them a unique,
real-world resume item that helped them really stand out to their early employers.  Quite a few work in security now,
and at least one is a CS professor of some note.

It might be useful to consider students as a potential opportunity, rather than simply a threat.

-Bob