Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Interesting Research

From: Mark Poepping <poepping () CMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2019 23:11:15 +0000

Just my opinion...  Based on the work done locally and the assistance I've provided over the years...

This is an unnecessary risk.  We first said 'no' to a similar data request over 25 years ago.  I don't believe there is
any reason for anyone to collect and hold passwords, encrypted or not (except the password tools a user might use, or a
recovery vault with an enterprise key).

Our general approach is to respectfully ask a researcher: what might be the minimal data needed to test the hypothesis?
 We have found most security researchers to appreciate this approach and come back with a *much better* proposal (or
not come back).  Several years ago we supported an experiment to test the effective entropy in passwords actually
selected by local users (driven by a 'global reset') - the same base data that you're talking about, I think - we did
it all without anyone seeing or ever storing passwords (researchers wrote all the code - we vetted the safety and
anonymity of the data export, with IRB approval).  I'd start by suggesting they calculate a strength vector with a
unique but unmappable identifier to support longitudinal analysis (e.g. give them a username if this is a controlled
test) - that should make the data safe, period.

To two of your specific points:
#2 - there are several ideas: test the strength of 5000 password from users without training and 5000 with training,
compare results; or test 5000 untrained users, then train them and test again.  This is a little weird anyway, since
most password systems enforce some rules, and that'll affect applicability of the results.
#3 - usually people will want username as a dangerous indicator of uniqueness (map pre-training to post-training) - you
can do the same with a non-reversible (and non-public) hash - be careful to avoid replay because it defeats
non-reversibility.  i.e. If I have your list of usernames and your hash function, I can map all your usernames to the
hashes - don't need to reverse it.

Finally, be careful of the claim that it's "just an experiment, the passwords aren't real, we just ask them to make one
up"...  Even if you tell people not to use any password they currently use, there's no assurance of that so the data is
still a risk.  Basically, collect only what you really need.

Hope it helps.
Mark.