Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Account Lockout Communications Policy

From: "Barton, Robert W." <bartonrt () LEWISU EDU>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 18:36:27 +0000

We’ve had many account issues as well.

1)     When an issue is found, the account is disabled immediately.

2)     If a source IP is identified, a block is put in place.

3)     A ticket is created for the issues (single ticket if more than one account involved in same incident).

4)     The Service Desk is notified and instructed to contact the user and support their reactivation.

5)     The notification is done by phone.

6)     Once the user is reached, the Service Desk will verify the user and then support their reactivation

7)     Tickets are updated.
I don’t want to put tools and be more specific in an open list.  I’m willing to talk by phone, if that is wanted.

Robert W. Barton
Executive Director of Information Security and Policy
Lewis University
One University Parkway
Romeoville, IL  60446-2200
815-836-5663