Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: [SECURITY] AV (AI or otherwise) for older servers?

From: William Greg Price <wgprice () TROY EDU>
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2019 19:51:42 +0000

+ 1 for Cylance

-Greg

W. Greg Price, Sr., Ph.D.
CSO
Troy University

On Nov 7, 2019, at 1:09 PM, Pete, Andrew <000000d06e28c017-dmarc-request () listserv educause edu> wrote:

Disclaimer:  This email was sent from outside of your organization. Please do not open attachments or click links from
an unknown or suspicious origin.
I went through vendor comparisons and evaluations earlier this year.  I looked at SentinelOne, Cylance and AMP for
Endpoint.

SentinelOne had a cumbersome management interface/usability and lacking in maturity.  There were a lot of things we
asked about that were either coming out soon or on the road map.  While there were some features that the other
products didn’t have a lot of those features weren’t as important to us.  Overall, the product didn’t align well with
our needs.  The price point was also much higher than Cylance/AMP.

AMP for endpoint also was a bit cumbersome when it came to the management interface and usability.  They did have the
best threat hunting ability but the product is essentially just AV with no other big features.

Cylance has a very intuitive interface a number of great features.  While their EDR information (Optics) is a bit
limited in event information compared to AMP, the “playbooks” you can configure are very powerful and can take a
variety of actions on the event.  Near the end of the eval we actually had Cylance catch a zero day ransomware 2 hours
before it even showed up on VirusTotal.

One other big difference between Cylance and SentinelOne/AMP is that all analytics are performed on the endpoint.  With
SentinelOne, some of the analytics can run without an Internet connection but there are others that need Internet.  AMP
for endpoint relies entirely on a traditional signature based AV engine when offline.

In the end we found Cylance fit our needs the best.  We purchased Protect (AV) and Optics (EDR) at the end of April.
We actually wrapped the professional services deployment project this week which I was very impressed by.  They made
the installation configuration easy and provided great training on the product.

Andrew Pete
Information Security Architect

New England Institute of Technology
One New England Tech Boulevard
East Greenwich, RI 02818-1205
401-780-4460 (Direct)
apete () neit edu<mailto:apete () neit edu>

<image001.png>