Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Gmail confidential mode

From: Jared Evans <jared.evans () GALLAUDET EDU>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2019 08:53:29 -0400

We have gotten requests from several departments asking to turn on Gmail
confidential mode for our Google domain.

There seems to be no concerns in regards to retention and visibility into
the messages for emails sent from the Google domain.   As per Google
support on how Vault handles these confidential emails:
"If your organization enables Gmail confidential mode, Vault can hold,
retain, search, and export all confidential mode messages sent by users in
your organization."

However, I would like to know if there may be any other info sec issues
resulting from the use of confidential emails that may affect the decision
on whether or not to make this capability available to the users on our
domain.

--

Jared Evans
Information Security Officer