Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Registration now open for 2020 Boston College Security Camp - March 5

From: Brian Kelly <bkelly () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 20:21:00 +0000

Great agenda for Security Camp, details below -

Hello,
We are pleased to invite you to the 2020 Security Camp @ Boston College. This event is a unique opportunity for the
university system, network, security administrators, and security managers. The goal of the conference is to share the
experiences of those responsible for maintaining computing security in the higher education environment so all may
benefit from our collective experience. Opportunities to network with other participants will be provided throughout
the day.

Security Camp will be held at Boston College, 300 Higgins, on Thursday, March 5, 2020.  It will run from 8:30 a.m. –
5:00 p.m.

Security Camp is partially sponsored by NERCOMP, the Boston Consortium and the ISACA New England Chapter. There is no
charge to attend.
The make-up date in case of snow is Friday, March 6, 2020.

All who are interested in the topics being presented are encouraged to attend. Your presence will help promote a rich
experience and successful 2020 camp!

Topics for this year include:

  *   AMERICAN SUPERCONDUCTOR & IP PROTECTION
Scott P. McGaunn, Special Agent, FBI
Insider threats and theft of source code, foreign influence and theft of IP in research.
  *   PANEL: SHARING INFORMATION SECURITY RESOURCES AMONG SMALL COLLEGES
Moderator: Bryce Cunningham, Mass College of Art and Design & Wentworth Institute of Technology
Eric Berube, Bowdoin College
Sherry Horeanopoulos, Fitchburg State
Chris Woods, Mount Holyoke College
Dylan Bukaweski, Providence College

  *   PANEL: LOG ANALYSIS FOR BIG DATASETS
Moderator: Patrick Cain, Cooper-Cain Associates
Eric Berube, Bowdoin College
Doug Downham, University of Massachusetts Amherst
Paul Nash, Harvard University
Every new regulation and program wants us to keep logs. Some for a relatively long time. That’s a lot of data!  This
panel will touch on what people are doing to deal with large log/event volumes. Maybe some new tools for searching. Or
new ideas for storing. Or novel approaches to storage, search, and deletion.

  *   DO-IT-YOURSELF PCI
David Millar, Boston College
A few years ago, I got certified by the PCI Standards Council as an ISA (Internal Security Assessor) for BC.  I went
off for a week of training in Baltimore and every year I have to pass a test.  The ISA program is intended to enhance
the quality of internal PCI self-assessments.   I will talk about how the ISA certification has helped us manage PCI
compliance at BC.

  *   PROVIDING SECURITY TOOLS TO THE UNIVERSITY
Phil Deneault, Boston College
We present information security tools that we have created for trouble-shooting firewall problems, requesting firewall
rules, reporting phishing emails and more.

  *   VULNERABILITY DISCLOSURE PROGRAM
Harvard University
In this presentation, we will share our journey in standing up a crowdsourced vulnerability reporting program. Expect
to learn our processes, tools and metrics.

For full details and registration information go to:
https://www.bc.edu/offices/securitycamp/registration-2.html<https://nam03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fnercomp.us12.list-manage.com%2Ftrack%2Fclick%3Fu%3Dfa90e79f957d0bd398ab02527%26id%3D42679dc952%26e%3D7c753c7abd&data=02%7C01%7C%7C84eec4d5d5cc457502bb08d7b48e6da8%7Cdd4b037fe626495db0170cc0f7dddb37%7C0%7C0%7C637176396151266884&sdata=ARfkr31EVhe%2F%2FZOe5Gr%2BpHkuULBk9XVp9wP%2B%2Bh4FJNQ%3D&reserved=0>

If you have any questions, please write to securitycamp () listserv bc edu<mailto:securitycamp () listserv bc edu>

We look forward to you joining us at Boston College in March.

David Millar
Principal Information Security Analyst
Boston College