Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] Use of Personal Computers for Work

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 19:30:03 +0000

We have a similar posture.  We don’t have an official BYOD policy.  It’s been on my list for a while, but other
priorities keep bumping it.

We do rely on our data security classification policy, use of DLP, and network segmentation to help keep our sensitive
data contained.

Like others have mentioned, we also do not provide computers for adjunct instructors so that right there represents a
significant number of employees who are expected to use a personal device to complete their work.  Of course a lot of
that is FERPA protected data and not more sensitive PII or PHI data.

I think the future will be less about how we restrict access to the device or location, and more about how we control
access and secure the data wherever it goes.  Things like identify management, role-based access, DLP, rights
management, conditional access, zero trust networks, and mobile device management (for university and personal devices)
will be key because our users, devices (ours and theirs), and our data will be so mobile and distributed that some of
the traditional models won’t necessarily work.

I would recommend determining what problems you’re trying to solve long term by restricting access to university
devices, and build towards that so you can pick your battles along the way.  This may or may not be the one you want to
fight.

(I say all this fully acknowledging that we don’t have it all figured out here, but these are the kinds of strategy
discussions we’re having right now).

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Innovation & Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu/>