Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [EXTERNAL] [SECURITY] FIDO2 keys and MFA

From: Garrett McManaway <garrett.mcmanaway () WAYNE EDU>
Date: Tue, 12 May 2020 17:13:43 +0000

We have used Duo for a while now for employees and are in the process of adding students to Duo for fall semester. We
have purchased these https://shop.ftsafe.us/products/otp-c100-h41 for about 9 bucks each in bulk to give out to people
who complain enough about using their phone (we do not issue phones to anyone so all personal devices) or does not have
a smart phone. We also lend them out to people who are traveling overseas. We do also sell Yubikeys on campus but
people rarely buy them.

I normally give these through our help desk that has a customer service area in our Student Center. That is of course
closed right now like the rest of campus, we have distributed other equipment like chromebooks and hotspots to faculty
and staff in need through our student food back that has remained open during shutdown. That is not ideal but will be
my backup plan if we are not open by fall.

Garrett McManaway
CISO & Sr. Director
C&IT - Information Security and Compliance
Wayne State University