Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Teaching security using malware

From: "Menne, Michael S" <michael.menne () MNSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 21:41:51 +0000

Should we allow this to happen on premise using some sort of virtual environment or only allow it to be done in cloud
instances?

     *   This shouldn’t be a YES/NO question.  It should be a YES/HOW question.
     *   For our campus, we have one classroom dedicated to this.  It’s on the local network, but the instructor runs a
script that flips the entire classroom network over to a private VLAN that has no routing.  It may have internet
access, but there is no internal access to/from the VLAN.
Should there be anything special about the computers that are used to connect to the virtual environment? (Separate
domain, separate vlan, extra security software, only allow certain ports open, etc.)

  *   See above on the VLAN flip.
  *   The computers that are used have a virtual hypervisor installed. The machines themselves revert to a steady state
(including the virtual machine disk file) every time they reboot. If they don’t reboot during the day, they reboot
every night for maintenance.  They may reboot after a period of inactivity as well. I don’t remember that part of it.
We are going to be asking if/how this affects our Cybersecurity Insurance.  Has anyone had their insurance affected by
doing these types of courses/training?

  *   Our insurance is carried through our state system office. I’ve never inquired.  As long as you can show
mitigating controls, I wouldn’t think it would affect your insurance. I don’t think insurance looks that deeply at the
institution’s course programming.

Michael Menne, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
IT Solutions Information Security
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Phone:  (507) 389-5705
Cell: (507) 405-0717
https://mankato.mnsu.edu/cyberaware

[signature_129034257]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and