Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

ANNOUNCEMENT - IT Change Management and DevOps: 3 part series of webinars coming soon

From: Mitchell Pautz <mitchell.pautz () GMAIL COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2020 10:59:31 -0700

Dear Colleagues

This has been a year of unprecedented challenges to our institutions. IT
has been pressured to deliver faster. Our campus partners need us to
quickly and safely provide IT services and products to enable working and
teaching from home. Yet, for many of us our ITSM processes have not been
able to keep up. Through these challenges some gaps have been exposed. We
are finding ourselves evaluating if our current ITSM processes and
organization practices are allowing us to keep up with the pace of change
required.

In response organizations are looking at new and improved ways of working.
DevOps, Change Enablement (updated from ITILv3 change management), Scrum,
etc. Each of these practices and principles holds the promise of being able
to work faster, safer and more efficiently to deliver on value. But, we are
faced with:

   -

   The reality of not knowing how to start.
   -

   A preconceived notion that Change Management and DevOps are at odds.
   -

   How to address the culture change required to adopt these practices and
   principles.

It gives me joy to be able to announce that in response to this challenge
that we are all facing, a group of us, along with members of the DevOps
community have been holed up for over a month planning a series of
webinars. The goal from the webinar series is not to just learn from your
peers but to participate in the dialog. We will present the current
challenges from a variety of perspectives, provide case studies and
examples, and then eventually move into tips on how to get started.

The 3 part series will start by presenting the problem statement and
current challenges. It will also introduce us to basic concepts to ensure
we are all at the same level of understanding. The second event will be
more of a deeper dive and explore how change enablement and DevOps
integrate with other ITSM processes. The final webinar will present use
cases. Presenters will talk about how to get started and give some examples
of what tools are available.

List of session topics and dates.

Please note dates are tentative and subject to change. Future emails will
have session details.

Early December | Session 101: Intro to Change management and Devops
concepts. Discussion of current challenges.

Early February | Session 201: Deep dive, advanced topics, and practice
integration

Early March | Session 301: Use cases, tools, and how to get started

Be sure to check your inbox in the next week or two for details on Session
101.

Sincerely

Mitch Pautz, Hank Wojteczko, Lucas Friedrichsen &

EDUCAUSE ITSM and DevOps CG event planning committee