Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] [SECURITY] Banner Parent Proxy

From: "Gregg, Christopher S." <csgregg () STTHOMAS EDU>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2021 19:13:50 +0000

  1.  Is anyone using MFA for the proxy user login? And if so, are you using Duo? I am not entirely sure our license
covers this but I am also not sure I want to supporting non-WSU accounts.

No.  Is this even an option?  The auth for proxy access is kind of its own animal in Banner as I understand it and I am
not sure that it can be connected to SSO.  Hardly definitive, but Googling for university proxy access pages, I didn't
find any that seemed to mention using MFA.  And as you mention, supporting MFA for proxy users could be problematic
even if technically possible and allowed by your licensing.

  1.  It looks like the only thing required to give someone proxy access is a valid email, has anyone put something in
place to validate the proxy user is an actual parent or guardian?

We're not doing this.  Proxy access could be used for a variety of 3rd party uses so this could be challenging to
verify relationships with the information we available.

  1.  Is this something your IT teams would instinctively consult general counsel about for any FERPA issues?

Yes, I believe at the time we rolled this out that we worked closely with the registrar and general counsel.

One thing to think about is that the alternative to using proxy access is that students would likely share their
account info with others instead which has its own FERPA issues.  That becomes harder and/or more problematic depending
on how you look at it if you have MFA on Banner SS.

I don't know if this is possible, but one compensating control might be to age proxy entries so they at least don't
stay active forever.   (Your questions caused me to notice that the test proxy access I setup 6 years ago for myself
here at our institution is still active)

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Gregg
Associate Vice President of Information Security & Risk Management, CISO
Innovation & Technology Services (ITS)
csgregg () stthomas edu<mailto:csgregg () stthomas edu>
p 1 (651) 962-6265
University of St. Thomas | stthomas.edu<https://www.stthomas.edu/>