Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Changes through Change Management

From: "Menne, Michael S" <000002306ce3cd04-dmarc-request () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2021 14:49:53 +0000

Change Management is mostly a communication and documentation function for us.  It’s an advisory body and not
necessarily an approval body.

We have Emergency, Informational, Normal, and Standard Changes.  Changes that are performed frequently with known risks
(usually low risk)  and outcomes can be processed as Standard changes.  Standard changes for us require no approval by
the CAB and can be performed with a 24 hour notice. Standard Changes have to be proposed as a Standard Change and are
voted on by the CAB through the Normal Change process.  Informational changes are changes outside of our control
(example: Office 365 changes that may have a significant impact on our users).

Firewall changes that are routine and low risk could be a Standard Change in our environment.  Standard Changes are
templated so they can be submitted quickly.  We hold CAB meetings twice a week. Standard changes are reviewed, but not
discussed in detail or voted on.

Michael Menne, CISSP
Chief Information Security Officer
IT Solutions Information Security
Minnesota State University, Mankato
Phone:  (507) 389-5705
Cell: (507) 405-0717
https://mankato.mnsu.edu/cyberaware

[signature_1415841060]

Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended
recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and