Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: HECVAT help

From: Vince Bonura <vbonura () FORDHAM EDU>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2021 20:51:59 +0000

George,

Your post is timely! I just attended a HECVAT Working Group meeting and wanted to ask a related question.

I joined the workgroup with hopes of gaining an understanding of the HECVAT and how it should be used. While I know the
basic concept, I am just now reading my first vendor completed HECVAT that I received last Thursday.

The question I wanted to ask is: What’s the comparison between a SOC2, Type 2 and the HECVAT?

I originally requested a SOC2, Type 2 report from the vendor and received one dated 6/30/20. When I asked for a current
copy, I was told that they completed a HECVAT and would supply that. The HECVAT I received from the vendor is dated
6/22/20.

My assumption is that an outdated HECVAT is no better than an outdated SOC2, Type 2.

Does everyone agree?

Thank you.

Vince Bonura
IT Risk Analyst