Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: [External] Re: [SECURITY] What security framework are you using, and why?

From: Shane Kroening <skroening () QUALYS COM>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 18:43:54 +0000

All,

I’d like to echo the folks here that say you need to start with the why before complying to a certain framework. To
take that a step further, let me walk you through what I would advise doing to get started.

Rather than focusing on a certain security framework or mandate, such as NIST 800-53, CMMC, etc. you should first focus
on what is in your environment. This has two key aspects: technologies (operating systems, databases, middleware,
frontends, etc.) and system use cases (what is this device used for, what is it accessing, does it communicate with a
protected entity, such as fed gov?).

Once you’ve determined those details, you can start to consider the individual controls that each technology and system
needs to meet. If you want an ‘easy button’ and aren’t looking to focus on the controls, I’d start with the CIS
benchmarks and utilize their controls for each appropriate technology.

Once you have some controls in place and are ensuring they are met, then you can start to consider how to meet certain
mandates. Not to mention, you’ll just be in a better overall cybersecurity position.

I hope this helps! Please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly if I can clarify any of this or provide more info
on specific controls, policies, or mandates!

Best,
Shane

Shane Kroening  [signature_796095325] <https://www.linkedin.com/company/qualys>
Technical Account Manager, Pre-Sales, Central (SLED)

skroening () qualys com<mailto:skroening () qualys com>
414.791.5674

Qualys, Inc. – Blog<https://qualys.com/blog> | Community<https://community.qualys.com/> |
Twitter<https://twitter.com/qualys>