Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Site Hacks

From: mcnabb () argus-systems com (Paul McNabb)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 09:50:21 -0600

 From shimons () mail bll co il Wed Dec 10 05:54 CST 1997

 > Date:          Tue, 9 Dec 1997 10:25:23 -0600
 > From:          mcnabb () argus-systems com (Paul McNabb)

 > BTW, B-level security isn't the only way to harden an OS, but it is one
 > of the best ways; and it has the advantage of having thousands of manyears
 > of thought put into its design, development, and deployment.

 What other ways to harden an OS are you reffering to?

Well, there's Memco's SEOS.  It isn't B1 (or any TCSEC level), but it does
hardened the OS by putting a layer between all apps and the system calls.
Another way is with Argus's DECAF product, which has nothing to do with
TCSEC security but rather implements a capability model inside of the
Solaris kernel, allowing all processes (included those running as root)
to be controlled.

The "living" B-level OSes that I know of are:
        DEC on Digitial Unix
        Sequent on its own stuff
        HP on HP/UX
        Argus on Sun's Solaris
        Data General on it own stuff
        CMW+ on SCO
        Bull's Best-X on IBM AIX (a very primitive B1!)
        Harris on SVR4/Nighthawk (is this still alive?)

This is just off the top of my head, I may have left someone off.

paul

Paul McNabb                     Argus Systems Group, Inc.
Vice President and CTO          1809 Woodfield Drive
mcnabb () argus-systems com        Savoy, IL 61874 USA
TEL 217-355-6308
FAX 217-355-1433                "Securing the Future"