Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Site Hacks

From: Nick Drage <maillists () smartways com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 10:15:06 +0000

All,

<- big snip ->

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Edward Cracknell wrote:
Assuming the Web server is behind the firewall and only http is allowed:
a) The ability to run cgi-bin scripts or html form processing in a way
which will create an html page as output. (Many form-based pages take
input and produce a page for output). As a result, it might be possible
to create a page that contains a URL like:
<A HREF=telnet://target.system.behi nd.firewall> Click here </A>
This would generally allow a telnet session from the web server to the
target system and the firewall rules of ONLY http allowed through would
not stop this.