Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Outsourcing Firewalls/Internet Security count

From: "Joseph S. D. Yao" <jsdy () cospo osis gov>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 1997 11:30:59 -0500 (EST)

Quite true --- and remember, you can't trust your phone company at
_All_. The amateur computer-burglar-crowd was a direct outgrowth of the
phone phreaks. Remember Cap'n Crunch?

Well, and that was why I phrased it that way, eh?

Would I do it? Not bloody likely. [...] So why am I arguing for
out-sourcing?

So that other people will be easier to burgle than you?

;-)  Oh, my.  Hadn't thought of it in those terms (until your previous
message with a similar drift).

Other people  a r e  easier to burgle than I am.  Other people, in
fact, are using  n o  protection, or a pseudo-firewall, or one with all
protections turned off.  On the other hand, there are  l o t s  of
people out there with - surprise! - nothing to burgle!  Breaking into
their computers would provide a coup mark, but nothing more.  So what
arguments should we use to persuade those people to use the Perfect(tm)
Firewall?

Or should we even try?

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () cospo osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
COSPO Computer Support                                          EMT-A/B