Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NT Gauntlet vs. BSD Gauntlet, Gauntlet "users"

From: cbrenton <cbrenton () sover net>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 17:34:10 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 3 Dec 1997, Linwood Ferguson wrote:

Their explanation of a "user" is any IP address protected by the
firewall.  Has anyone explored what this means from an implementation
standpoint?  I hate to think that just having PC's out there that
receive e-mail (from an internal gateway) means they are "users".
I assume it is those who ever establish a session directly to or
from the firewall.  Is that so?  If so, is there a time frame
involved?  Since Reboot?  Do you have to do something really awful
like list them?

This sounds similar to FW-1. A "user" is any IP discovered on the internal
network. The thought process is that since every IP address benefits from
having the firewall in place, they should all count against the license.

As for how they are registered, it is usually through discovery. This
could be by accessing the Internet, broadcasting an ARP on the same
subnet, or even broadcasting a NetBIOS name.

Cheers,
Chris